Search engine optimization (SEO) is not so complicated as long as you know the basics and that you understand what to do. With these two aspects, you can be able to get high rankings on Google and other major search engines. Here is a list of tips and highlights to help you understand SEO:
1. Inbound links – you get an easier chance for a high ranking when you have websites linking to your site. This is because Google considers links as votes for your website. More votes or links shows your site’s popularity and this in turn gives you a better ranking
2. Right links – aside from the number of links, Google also looks at the quality of the links. Links from irrelevant websites will not help search engine rankings as much as links from relates websites do. Getting a link from a trusted website will also give you a boost in ranking.
3. Link building – never stop the fight. Your competitors will still work on their links and that does not allow you to stop working on yours too.
4. Paid links – Google consider links to your site as votes for its quality. A paid link does not show quality at all. Google’s anti-spam team has been reporting paid links and if your site gets reported, your website can be penalized.
Web Page Optimization
5. Search engines rank single pages – optimizing a single web page for a highly relevant single keyword is much better and more relevant when it comes to search terms
6. Google considers all pages – although the listing will only shoe one page, Google still checks on all the pages of your website. When you optimize different pages with different but related keywords then Google will also find them relevant to the searched topic and include the other pages in the rankings as well.
7. Optimized web page content and inbound links – having both will give your website a significant boost in ranking especially if you have good inbound links.
8. Redirects – webpage redirects are used by spamming sites that is why search engines do not like them. Redirects are interpreted as a spamming attempt. Search engines only recognize a 301 redirect and the rest are considered spam.
9. Duplicate content – Google wants to list one piece of content in the search results. If you are found to have duplicate content, Google will only pick up one version in their search results.
Remember that as long as you do the right things in the right order, then you will be able to get the best rankings possible in Google and other major search engines.